Sunday, April 7, 2019

1980's Trivial Pursuit - WTF?! Michael Jackson, AIDS, and the Blarney Stone?!

This weekend I hit up a local Goodwill and along with some great bargain CD's, I saw this Trivial Pursuit "The 1980's" Replacement Card Set on the shelf for a few bucks and thought it might be fun for the next game night.

I see from the back of the box, this was released in 1989 and the six categories are:
  • Personalities
  • In the News
  • That's Life
  • Entertainment
  • Sports & Leisure
  • Wild Card


I was born in 1970 and most of my friends included in our game night are just about the same age.  In theory we should have at least heard of all the 3000 questions in this set, but I'm sure a good amount of these questions are the types of things that would have been easy to answer upon its release in 1989, but now will be almost impossible to remember; minor trivia lost to time.  

Before I bring this to game night, I figured I should check a couple of cards and make sure at least say 1/3 of them were general and memorable enough to respond to correctly in 2019 so we don't find ourselves tossing the box in the trash after 15 minutes.

I pulled one card and had to share.



The good news was I immediately knew the "That's Life" question.  I correctly guessed the "Sports & Leisure" question and I think if I thought about it for a few minutes I would have come up with the "Entertainment" question, I'm sure my friends would know others, so this seemed like a fun playable game, but what about that first question?!

I'm a big music fan and I was sure if any pop star said of Ireland's Blarney Stone "No way am I going to kiss that - I might get AIDS or something worse" that I surely would have remembered it.  So I had to flip over the card and check out the answer:


MICHAEL JACKSON?!?!

How would I have forgotten this?  I just spent a few minutes googling "Michael Jackson Blarney Stone", "AIDS Blarney Stone", "Michael Jackson AIDS Blarney Stone" as well as the quote and nothing comes up about this.  Does anyone remember this being even one of the many rumors about MJ in the 80's?  I know Jackson toured Ireland in 1988 and I don't think this quote to the press would have been a great way to move more tickets.

While Trivial Pursuit was incredibly huge in the mid 80's, I think Parker Brothers might have dodged a bullet here in 1989 when its popularity was waning.  Maybe MJ did say this and the quote was buried, otherwise I think Trivial Pursuit sold so few of these 80's editions that word never got to the King of Pop and thus a potential defamation lawsuit was avoided.

Too bad this question didn't come up when George Costanza played the Bubble Boy on Seinfeld, it would have made the Moors/Moops controversy seem like a non issue.

Anyway, I can't wait to play next game night!

If you're not yet part of our Facebook group, please click the Like button below.  You'll always be kept up to date on future posts, have the ability to comment and share all content, and get access to our contests and giveaways!

Click any photos to enlarge them to full screen.  Also follow on twitter @MostPeopleBlank   Then, of course, as always - Rock on and Enjoy - Paul

1 comment:

tmomz69 said...

I have never heard that about Michael. I have almost every Bop magazine, Rolling Stone and teen music magazine article on Michael...I was a tad obsessed. Also Moops...lol that was so funny!