Monday, July 26, 2010

Adler's Appetite - The Chance, Poughkeepsie NY July 25, 2010

I'm on OKCupid...in this day and age, what single guy isn't (unless you're religious...then you might be on match.com)...and I was just yesterday explaining a serious dilemma to a good friend of mine...that I get REALLY good matches...but they all tend to be 68 to 72 miles away based in Brooklyn and Manhattan.

So when this topic came up yesterday, my friend of mine worried that I might leave the Poughkeepsie area to go to live in Brooklyn where evidently women who desire a man such as I (it shocks me that ALL don't) thrive...but I said nay...NAY...I will ride it out (and hell...I know there's a gal locally who somewhat digs me...and I HAVE to see how that works out at least)

But tonight showed another reason why I so love Po-town...where else can you see a show...walk to your car in the parking lot and have a gang of enterprising youths offer you a "Touch Screen Phone" for an extreme bargain rate...I didn't buy a T-Shirt...so let me tell you...I was tempted (as a cool souvenir of course)...but I passed

But dammit...it's things like this that make me realize Poughkeepsie IS a town to call home!

Oh wait...concert review...sorry...

So...I SO almost didn't go to this gig...

The website said it started at 6:30...nice...because when you go to any sorta metal show at the Chance, you know you have to sit through AT LEAST 4 opening bands...so I'm thinking the main band comes on 9-ish...I can deal

The main band? Adler's Appetite...as in Steven Adler, original drummer for Guns n Roses/star of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew. Playing all GnR classics...why not!

So back to the timing...it turns out, after a call to the Chance, the band is not hitting the stage until 10:30...good god...I have to get up for work early in the morn...I'm thinking skip it

But, life does it's own things, and I end up showing up at the Chance around 9:40 or so...what the hell...I'll be in bed by midnight...right?!

I hear a Quiet Riot cover as I go in...don't know the band who played it...but it was alright...they go off

The next band setup begins...and setup goes on...and on...oh no...10:30 for Adler was a lie

So the next band hits the stage around 10:10...they should have been called "I wish we were Nickelback"...because...well...they did

They were called Anchored...from Texas...they do 35 minutes of cock rock...some okay...some crap (and a pretty dead on cover of "Crazy Bitch")...they leave...

The bell tolls eleven...

Adler's Appetite!

So basically my thoughts are...glorified tribute band (but with some veterans of the scene...Alex Masi on Guitar...Chips Enuff of Enuff Z'Nuff on Bass...meaningless names if you weren't a reader of Hit Parader in the 80's)...but holy crap gang...they were tight and they ROCKED!

Now I got to see the original Guns n Roses a few times...and they were always amazing...I thought this would simply be a hang out with my buddy decent show...but Steven put together a band that delivers!

They opened with "Wreckless Life" from the Live Like A @&#$ Suicide EP...NICE...a total fave that I never got to see GnR do...then Right into the classics

The set was basically 75% of "Appetite for Destruction" (let's see they didn't do You're Crazy, Anything Goes...maybe one other)...They did Civil War...the GnR version of "knockin On Heaven's Door"...all just dead on great (Including an unrealesed new song...it was really good)!

If you watched Celebrity Rehab, you, like me, probably wondered if Steven could possibly still drum...but dammit...he can! And he was so happy and smiling through out the set...it was infectious!

So it's 1:00am now...I still have to get up for work tomorrow...I'm gonna just say, if this tour hits your town...GO (if you like GnR)

I had a great time.

I don't have a fancy new phone.

I'll get one at the next show...cause Poughkeepsie is my home.

Rock.

No comments: