Sunday, November 30, 2014

Judas Priest - Grand Theater at Foxwoods, CT - October 11, 2014 Concert Review and Photos

Steel Panther opened this show and I have a small photo set of them you can view by clicking here if you're so inclined.

I'll be real quick with this one and basically make this a photo set to enjoy.  I wonder if Judas Priest initially thought about doing a full album 30th anniversary tour of "Defenders of the Faith?"  I wish the answer was yes, because it's really the album that introduced me to Priest and after all these years, is still my favorite Priest album.

I say this mainly because of the 30th Anniversary DOTF Shirt they were selling at the gig (and from what I could see, it was the most popular shirt being sold) and also because of the classic tunes they brought back into the set that they have not played in 30 years!  "Jawbreaker" has not been played since the last show of the Defenders tour in 1984 and "Love Bites" has not been played since 1986.  Then they actually end the set with the sold out crowd singing along to the title track (which featured a little bit of the "Heavy Duty" intro) which also has not been played in 30 years. 

The odd thing was they dropped all the other tunes they regularly or semi-regularly play from the album...along with quite a few other concert staples, but I'm glad they're mixing it up.  It was cool hearing these songs for the first time (I didn't see Priest live until 1988) rather than Green Manalishi or Diamonds and Rust for the tenth time. Actually, now that I've heard these, I've heard every song off of Defenders live at some point except "Night Comes Down" and the full version of "Heavy Duty."  That's not too shabby

With a 16 song setlist and about six songs they HAVE to play, you're never going to get your dream set in one show, so I like they're bringing back these classics and if I might be so bold as to make some suggestions for next tour...well "Night Comes Down" of course and how about "Screaming for Vengeance" and "Delivering the Goods."  What would your three suggestions be?  Go to our Facebook page, click follow and post your comments!

Anyway the show was great and the new songs fit in perfectly with the classics. The highlight of the show (and of most Priest shows I've seen) was the epic "Victim of Changes" which could not be topped on this night.  

I think this tour is still going for a while and it doesn't need my help to sell tickets.  If you're a priest fan, they still have it and I'm sure you'll check it out.  Here's the setlist and under it are about 40 shots from the show.

Dragonaut
Metal Gods
Devil's Child
Victim of Changes
Halls of Valhalla
Love Bites
March of the Damned
Turbo Lover
Redeemer of Souls
Beyond the Realms of Death
Jawbreaker
Breaking The Law
Hell Bent For Leather
Encore:
You've Got Another Thing Comin'
Living After Midnight
Defenders of the Faith (with a bit of Heavy Duty intro)

Click on any of the photos below to super size them.  Feel free to use any in your own posts, but if you do, please give us credit and let us know your link so we can share it as well.  Most of all please click this link and go to our Facebook page and click Follow.  This will keep you up to date with all our posts and our contests.  We're also on Twitter.  As always, Rock on and Enjoy! - Paul





































No comments: