Saturday, May 25, 2019

Judas Priest / Uriah Heep - Night #2 in Albany NY - May 19, 2019 - Review with Video and Photos

I didn't expect to be seeing Judas Priest for a third time on the current "Firepower" tour (on Sunday, May 19, 2019 at the Palace Theater in Albany, NY), but unlike most legacy metal bands on the road these days, Priest keep changing up the setlist as the tour goes on.  Also I won tix from Z93 DJ Tigman during his daily Big Hair Scare - make sure you tune in and give him a listen - Tig is THE ambassador of metal in these parts!

 

Back to the setlist changes, when this leg started in early May in Florida, fans were shocked to see 2/3 of the 18 song setlist were tour debuts with numerous songs not having been played in decades or ever!  Then within this leg of the tour, the band continues to throw in new surprises - one of which we would get tonight!


I've reviewed Priest before and much of what I said then I will say again - the band sounds amazing and Halford's vocals are fantastic.  


Opener Uriah Heep were on point as well (there's video and some shots of them towards the end of this review.)


This was the second night of a two night stand in Albany.  The Saturday night show was a sell out.  This show appeared to be about 2/3 full but the crowd was loud and rabid.


So let's take a walk through the setlist and I'll share some pictures and videos I shot that will let you know what it was like to be there.


The show opened with "Necromancer", one of 4 tracks off their newest album "Firepower" played this night.  


Halford's entrance was fantastic - backlit in shadow to be revealed to be in an outfit that I can only describe as half Heavy Metal Willy Wonka and half Screamin' Jay Hawkins!


"Heading Out to the Highway" off of "Point of Entry" was next and here's a video I shot of that one:


Next up was the sole track from my favorite Priest album, "Defenders of the Faith" with a killer "The Sentinel"


"Spectre" was next followed by the classic (and only track from) "Screaming for Vengeance" with "(Take These) Chains".  Here's the video I shot of this one:


"Judas Rising" from "Angel of Retribution" was then followed by "Out in the Cold" from "Turbo".  


It's great to see the band touching on all areas of their 50 year career with selections from 12 different albums on this night.


"Traitors Gate" came next followed by the "Sin After Sin" track "Starbreaker."  


Then came the first "British Steel" track of the night, "Steeler," which led into "Halls of Valhalla" from "Redeemer of Souls"


"Tyrant" off "Sad Wings of Destiny" (my 2nd favorite Priest album for those keeping track) then made a fantastic appearance followed by "No Surrender" and then the biggest surprise of the night, "Hot Rockin'" which had not been played since exactly 14 years to the day!  


Very cool, but I didn't get the video of it.  I checked YouTube to see if I could link to someone else's but as far as I can see, it's not yet uploaded by anyone.  My buddy filmed the whole show, so once that gets uploaded, I'll put in a link here in case it becomes some kind of tour one off 14th anniversary playing that doesn't get repeated.


Next was the "Victim of Changes" which is always an amazing highlight of any Priest show and I'm so glad it's back in the set.  Here's my video of it:


They finished the main set with a killer "All Guns Blazing" from "Painkiller"


There was a quick break and the band came back and did a non stop play through of the hits for the encore - "Hell Bent For Leather", "Breaking The Law" and "Living After Midnight".


Surprisingly no "You've Got Another Thing Coming" on this tour - but with all the fantastic deeper tracks, I don't think anyone missed it - perhaps only those who were seeing Priest for the first time, but you got the impression that was not the case for just about the whole crowd.


As I stated earlier, Uriah Heep opened the show.  Looking at setlist.fm, I see they did a nine song set.

I only knew their biggest hit "Easy Livin' (which they ended with and below is the video I took of it) and walked in during their seventh song "Look At Yourself", but that and "Sunshine" which followed before "Easy Livin' sounded great and the crowd loved them,  giving them a standing ovation at the end of the set!


The rest of their set was "Grazed by Heaven" to open.
Too Scared to Run
Take Away My Soul
Rainbow Demon
Knocking at My Door
Gypsy

It was a great way to spend a Sunday night and as I always say after leaving a Priest show, I can't wait til the next time!

If you're not yet part of our Facebook group, please click the Like button below.  You'll always be kept up to date on future posts, have the ability to comment and share all content, and get access to our contests and giveaways!

Click any photos to enlarge them to full screen.  Also follow on twitter @MostPeopleBlank   Then, of course, as always - Rock on and Enjoy - Paul

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Was there with my son, we met Rob Halford after the show!

MostPeopleAreBlank said...

Oh man...that is awesome..I know a few people who did as well, I should have stuck around to try and meet the Metal God!